Re: Velociraptor

Jonathan R. Wagner wrote:

> Jonathon Woolf wrote:
> >Alas, no.  The size Mark quoted was indeed correct for _Velociraptor_.
> >_Deinonychus_ is at least twice as large -- almost four meters nose to
> >tail, and 150cms or more tall.
>         Umm... FOUR meters? Last time I checked _PDW_, _The Dinosauria_, and
> the mounts at AMNH, the Philly Academy of Sciences and the MCZ,
> _Deinonychus_ was something like two-ish meters long and around a meter at
> the hip.

Well over three meters, at least.  I have half a dozen different books
that give 11 feet (3.3m) as the upper end of _Deinonychus_'s size
range.  The sketch on p.273 of THE DINOSAURIA, with the accompanying
scale, works out at about 2.6m with the neck flexed.  With a straight
backbone, that specimen would probably be three meters tip to tip.

-- JSW