Re: Oz displays/museums

>Thanks to those down-unda list members who pointed me at their fine
>collection of museums and othert sites around Oz. I only got to a couple
>'cause opf time constraint, but what I saw was pretty cool anyway..
>
>I took a ton of pix and will get them all up on my web site once I get
>back and get them all developed and scanned in...
>
>My first stop on my last day in Perth was at the W.A. Museum. The
>collection here was kind of small and had a few innaccuracies, but still
>had some really cool stuff like a slab of Eurypterid track impressions and
>fossilized stromatolites. There is a skeleton of a Muttaburrasaurus,
>albeit done in classic "taildragger" style, but not haviong seen one
>before(except in illos), I was willing to excuse for getting some closeups
>of the skull. I'd appreciate any comments others might have on this
>particular specimen or on the Gorgosaurus that was next to it.

Our Gorgosaurus libratus is a cast of the one in the Royal Ontario Museum,
Toronto. You can tell by the chunk missing from the lower right mandible.

Muttaburrasaurus: Note that the restored skull of the holotype from
Muttaburra is known to be slightly incorrect. A more complete skull from
Dunluce has shown that the front of the nasal bump terminated abruptly in a
forward-facing vertical face rather than gently curving to the end of the
snout-tip.

Also the 'thumb-spike' is in fact based on a worn bone fragment that could
have come from anywhere. The skeleton's restoration with the spike is more
based on the assumption of it's relationship with Iguanodon.

Incidentally, Mutt is definately NOT an iguanodontid/camptosaurid but a
more primitive  ornithopod, probably lying in between hypsilophodontids and
dryosaurs/tenontosaurus.

Yes...I too am annoyed that both our big dino skeletons are in traditional
tail-dragging poses. But you forgot to mention our Hypsilophodon which at
least is tail-up.

Cheerio
Brian Choo