Re: DINORESTORATIONS

In a message dated 97-11-07 01:43:26 EST, vonrex@gte.net writes:

<< Are there any other "spines" (or whatever you call
 these protriusions a la iguanas) from the sauropod dorsal midlines known?
 Visual info as resource material, if made widely available, would help the
 cause of accuracy in paleoart.  It would be good if more shown, more often,
 so that artists could use it. >>

Whatever they are, they seem to be dorsal dermal structures seldom ossified
and thus even more seldom preserved in fossils. How far along the back they
extended is anyone's guess; Steve Czerkas has guessed all along the neck,
back, and tail in his article on them. I don't think there exists a specimen
showing that they did indeed extend this far along the back, but it's not
unlikely.

Maybe similar structures in ornithischians, e.g., stegosaurs, are homologous.
This would be more likely if (as I believe to be the case) ornithischians and
sauropodomorphs shared a more recent common ancestor than either group did
with theropods.