Re: gender

On 11-8-97, Dinogeorge <Dinogeorge@aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 97-10-11 03:13:48 EDT, martz@holly.ColoState.EDU
writes:

> << The proximal chevron character is an unpublished suggestion Larson
>  made before Sue was confiscated; I am looking forward to seeing if
>  subsequent preparation and study bears it out.   >>
>
> Not unpublished. The article is by Larson and is titled "Tyrannosaurus
sex."
> It appeared in a 1994 issue of the MAPS digest as well as another place
in
> substantially the same form. Can't recall where off the top of my head,
but
> keep looking.

Under the title, _Sexing <Rex>_ (sic), _Discover_ magazine published a
brief summary of Peter Larson's idea of sexing _Tyrannosaurus rex_ by
assessing the size of the first chevron on the caudal vertebrae (the penis
retractor bone in male crocodilians) in the gracile and robust specimens.
As the article was not authored by Larson, this is apparently not the
reference you mention, but it could give the uninitiated some background on
the subject:

_Sexing Rex_, Discover_, February 1994, page 20.

So, if Larson's hunch proves to be correct, and Sue's proximal chevron is
smaller and stubbier than those found on the gracile _Tyrannosaurus rex_
morphs, shouldn't paleontologists petition the powers that be to rename the
animal _Tyrannosaura regina_, "Queen of the tyrant lizards"?

Ralph Miller III <gbabcock@best.com>