Re: Musings about JP and LW

I now see that my original posting was unclear.  Perhaps the modified version
will net me the answers I seek.

 Here I am watching Jurassic Park for the 3 squillionth time, and I have an
 epiphany.  Perhaps this has already come up on the list.  If so, sorry for
 bringing up an old subject.

 I found it interesting that all of the dinosaur DNA (we are told) was
 extracted from insects fossilized in amber. The only source for the amber
 that we see is the Mano de Dios amber mine in the Dominican Republic.   Even
 assuming that the amber is the correct age, (I know it's not, but let's
assume it was, just for the sake of argument)  how big was the range of the
dinosaurs in question?  We have T. rex, "Velociraptor" (Utahraptor?) and
other assorted species whose DNA is showing up in bugs from the Dominican
Republic...  What are the chances of a T. rex being bitten in North America,
and the bug going all the way to the Dominican Republic?

Assuming the amber is mesozoic (I know it's not, but again, let's assume),
what dinosaurs were likely to be in the region of the sap? T. rex?
 Dromeosaurids?  Parasaurolophus?  Gallimimus?  Would any of this DNA have
been available to the bugs in the D.R.?  If not, which ones were there in the
mesozoic?

 > Any ideas? >>

Walt