Re: Jurassic tetrapods from California

> From: Brian Tegowski <tegowski@primenet.com>
> To: vert paleo <vrtpaleo@usc.edu>; dinosaurs <dinosaur@usc.edu>
> Subject: Jurassic tetrapods from California
> Date: Friday, November 07, 1997 7:04 PM
>
> Is anyone aware of any Jurassic tetrapods from California?
>
> >From the UCMP online collection I am aware of the following of the
> following:
>
> "Ichthyosaurus californicus"
> "Ichthyosaurus franciscanus"
> "Plesiosaurus hesternus" (maybe "nomen nuda or nomen dubium" a single
> vertebra) Can someone please confirm this?
>
> all from the Franciscan Formation
>
> Is anyone else aware of any others? Please provide citations.
>
> If this subject has been hashed through before, I'm sorry I just joined
the
> newsgroups.
>

> Buck

I can't answer your question, but I can offer a reference for an article on
California dinosaur fossils (including Cretaceous hypsilophodon,
lambeosaur, saurolophid, nodosaur, and theropod remains).  Of these, only
the hypsilophodon is from the early Cretaceous; the rest are late
Cretaceous in age.  These were all deposited in marine sediments and are
fragmentary remains which cannot, in most cases, be assigned to particular
species.  The article states: "All West Coast dinosaurs discovered to date
are of Cretaceous age."  Here is the reference:

DeCourten, Frank, _Dinosaurs In California? A Menagerie of Reptiles Once
Roamed the Pacific Coast_, _Pacific Discovery_, A Publication of the
California Academy of Sciences, Summer 1997, Volume 50, No. 3, pages 26-31.

Ralph Miller III <gbabcock@best.com>