got milk

I would like to get some help from anyone who has the time or the
inclination, my main topic is "mammogenesis". I can rationalize the
evolution from egg to placental birth, which may be wrong, but what
I really would like is some input on what was the mechenisum for
jump starting the mammary system, an intirely new concept at the
time it was initiated. all answers or posts no matter how far out
will be appreciated as food for thought.
                                       Lots of THANKS
                                       Earl Wood
                                       frog@cncnet.com