Re: got milk

At 09:32 AM 11/12/97 -0800, Dale wrote:
>I really would like is some input on what was the mechenisum for
>jump starting the mammary system, an intirely new concept at the
>time it was initiated. all answers or posts no matter how far out
>will be appreciated as food for thought.

Hmmmm.  Maybe I should let you "sweat" this one out for a bit...  (he said
cryptically).

You may want to have a look at the mammary system in monotremes and see how
they differ from marsupials and placentals.  Although monotremes (echidnas
and platypi) have their own specializations, they also retain many primitive
features lost or transformed in other mammals.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661