Re: Neoteny & Avian Evolution

At 9:53 AM -0800 11/14/97, Tom Holtz wrote:

>At 12:18 PM 11/14/97 -0600, Casey wrote:
>
>>With recent discussion of tree climbing dromaeosaurids and feathered
>>Alvarezsaurids an idea formed in my head (dear god, I hope it is an
>>original one).  What if birds evolved as a result of neoteny from a very
>>early (as of yet undiscovered) dromaeosaur relative.
>
>You might find that a LOT of dinosaur paleontologists would agree with you,
>but have yet to find an appropriate forum in which to publish their ideas...

Ahh, but they have!  See _Evolutionary Change and Heterochrony_, K.J.
McNamara (ed.), 1995; specifically Chapter 8 by Long and McNamara on
"Heterochrony in Dinosaur Evolution". A shorter version of this is in the
Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs under "Heterochrony." Cheers!

                        John R. Hutchinson
                 Department of Integrative Biology
                  3060 Valley Life Sciences Bldg.
                University of California - Berkeley