Re: ABCNEWS.COM on dinosaur lungs

>Second - How the heck do we know what dinosaur lungs were like?  And I was
>under the impression that at least some theropods had the hollow long bones
>and foramina that, in birds, are invaded by the air-sac system - am I all
>wet here?

Theropods do have thin-walled, hollow bones (Gauthier, 1986).  However,
there are no reports of pneumatopores (foramen pneumaticum, Baumel and
Witmer, 1993)  connecting the "air sapces" in the lung bones with the air
sacs) in the long bones of dinosaurs.
TDJ
:-{)>
    Terry D. Jones                             Voice:  541/737-6120
    Oregon State University              Fax:      541/737-0501
    Dept. of Zoology                         JONEST@bcc.orst.edu
    3029 Cordley Hall
    Corvallis, OR  97331-2914