Re: Elmsauridae, What happened at SVP?

At 07:40 PM 11/13/97 -0600, Roger A. Stphenson wrote:
>Another thing that I want to know about is whether a type specimen
>can be replaced if a much better specimen is found?

The simple answer is NO.  This would be too destabilizing, as one could
never be sure that one had chosen the new specimen form the same species.

[But the ICZN, through its plenary powers, *does* have the right to make
such a change.  In fact they have done so at least once: the redesignated
the type specimen of _Coelophysis_.]

                                          sfriesen@netlock.com