Re: Velociraptor

Thanks for yours,
and I think you took the comment a little out of context:
Someone (who incidentally did not speak English very well) quoted a length
measurement (thinking it was a height measurement) and then wondered why it was
longer than someone else's height estimate.
In context, the intention was to point out that height and length are not the
same
thing, not to make an absolute pronouncement about "height" in every
circumstance.

According to Tom Holtz height is an arbitrary term  that does, as I said, vary
according to how the animal stands and is often measured at the shoulder: as you
said, in some cases it depends (I suppose a semantic dispute) on which animal
it is.

Notwithstanding about dogs and horses, people are measured to the tops of their
heads
and so, I suppose, are giraffes. Measuring giraffes to the shoulder would --
from my
point of view -- be an absurd standard for comparison as silly as measuring
people
from heel to hip and insisting that was a good standard for basketball players.

Perhaps someone ought to come up with a schema about how to measure each and
every
extinct animal so that there would be less semantic confusion -- especially for
non-English speakers.

I think it is an unfortunate tendency of specialized groups to usurp the
meaning of a
simple word (like height) and insist that it has only the "jargon" meaning of
that
group. I think it behooves us to find a new term like "shoulder height" or "head
height" if our intention is to be clear and not to be arbitrary.

If we are measuring horses for something to do with pedigrees and
anthropometrics
then shoulder height might be quite useful. If we are measuring horses to see
if they
will fit under a bridge, then we absolutely need to know how much higher than
their
shoulder the top of their head is, or our poor horsies will have big bumps on
their
heads!

How tall is an amoeba?

--
AOL IM Pager - DinoEditor
ichat PAGER - dinogazette

Central
http://www.dinosaur.org
Encyclopedia Brittanica Internet Guide, Yahoo Editor's Choice, Science Site of
the
Day, Member of The Paleo Ring

Teefr - A new fantasy-adventure story for the whole family by Edward Summer
http://www.dinosaur.org/teefr.html

Laser Publishing Group, Planetarium Station, Box 502-DIG, NY, NY 10024-0502