Height (was Re: Velociraptor)

At 06:46 PM 11/16/97 -0500, you wrote:

>According to Tom Holtz height is an arbitrary term  that does, as I said, vary
>according to how the animal stands and is often measured at the shoulder:
as you
>said, in some cases it depends (I suppose a semantic dispute) on which
animal it is.

Actually, the "height" for dinosaurs is often "hip height", not "shoulder
height".  As upright diapsids, the hips of dinosaurs tend to be taller than
the shoulders (Brachiosaurus a notable exception).

Of course, "mass" is generally a more informative measurment of size in
biology (as many important features of physiology scale to mass more closely
than to lengths or heights).  However, mass estimates are somewhat (!) more
difficult to derive from fossil material than linear dimensions.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661