Re: Eating a Nautilus (attn: Gothgrrl)

I don't claim any expertise here and I'm not a scientist, so ease up on the
flames,
OK.
I was merely passing on what I saw at the Tyrrell Museum. If you have a problem
with
this theory, then take it up with Dr. Johnston.
As for limpets, they will scrape out a region of rock or whatever they are on as
large and as thick as their shells. They move around in the daytime in search of
food (algae) but return to this region at night for protection. So maybe they
could
leave holes on ammonite shells.
As for that 1960 paper (I wouldn't know how or where to get it) you mentioned,
the
title suggests it was written about one ammonite specimen. Is this true? Not a
very
large statistical base if it is.
I apologize to the list for being off topic.
Regards,
Shane Leuck

--
The Gateway Country Fossil Page