Bird Lungs vs. Dinosaur Lungs

Gang?

When we look at the lungs or prehistoric critters (Archaeopteryx and
enantiornithines)-- aren't we simply making intelligent guesses? How
much consistency exists between existing birds today in morphology and
function? Does a penguin lung resemble an emu's?

Do we have any idea of how dinosaur soft tissue was? We "know" about
the gizzard stones used by the herbivore dinosaurs or was that another
hypothesis?

I'm more interested in how scales could evolve into feathers.

- Alan

PS  Just because IT seems obvious doesn't make it so.