"babble" about cladistics

The recent discussions about cladistics has been most impressive.  To my
mind this has been one of the most valuable discussions I have seen from
this list.  A topic I have not seen covered yet is how characters are
chosen.  Is there any consensus on what makes a "useful" character?
TDJ
:-{)
    Terry D. Jones                             Voice:  541/737-6120
    Oregon State University              Fax:      541/737-0501
    Dept. of Zoology                         JONEST@bcc.orst.edu
    3029 Cordley Hall
    Corvallis, OR  97331-2914