Re: "Megaraptor"?

At 10:05 PM 11/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Two people have independently e-mailed me about a new species of giant
>South American dromaeosaurid (bigger than _Utahraptor_!) described in the
>latest National Geographic.

Megaraptor is a very fragmentary specimen with a giant monster (37 cm)
sickle claw from the Rio Neuquen (Turonian-Coniancian) of Argentina.  Novas
will be describing it in a forthcoming short note in JVP.

>What's a dromaeosaur doing in South America? What's known of it? Are they
>really going to name it "Megaraptor"? (I hope so, because I've already put
>it on my website -- yes, I'll put up a new name before the drop of a hat.)

That is indeed the name.  And, as dromaeosaurids are now known from the
slightly older Cenomanian units of northern Africa, an Argentine one isn't
too surprising.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
College Park, MD  20742       Fax:  301-314-9661