Re: Australian mammal remains

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Dann Pigdon wrote:

> Just about every news program in Melbourne last night
> ran the story about the mammal jaw found at the Inverloch rock
> platform site in south eastern Australia, dating to around 115 MYA.
> Apparently it has been dubbed "Mighty Mouse" or some such silly
> name, and the news program I saw (I was in a restaurant at the time,
> so hearing it was a bit of a strain) seemed to suggest that it was
> the oldest mammal remains anywhere. Surely not? I've got an old
> palaeontological book from the early 1980s that mentions Triassic
> mammal remains.
>       If the name "Mighty Mouse" is anything to go by, could it
> be the world oldest rodent? Having seen the story in a restaurant
> on four different TVs simultaneously (only one with sound) I
> don't have much in the way of details, but the Drs Rich seemed quite
> excited about the find. Does anyone out there, unlike myself at
> this stage, actually know anything about the find?
> --

The find is small mammal jaw (dunno if it is upper or lower). Tom
initially thought that it was a placental mammal wich is rather unexpected
biogeographically. I'm not sure but I think that he has now revised that
to basal therian incertae sedis. As for what gets reported in the popular
media you just can't trust it (I know from personal experience).

cheers

Adam Yates