Re: James Gurney

 Brian Franczak is absolutely correct in his assessment of storm clouds
developing on the horizon of dinosaur art. An analogous situation occurred
in the field of wildlife art at the end of the sixties. It began with the
federal duck stamp you read about in the newspapers once a year. When
commercial artists who hunted found out about the value of limited edition
prints of designs for the stamp there was an avalanche of images derived
from photographs. This is a large part of a commercial artist's work-a-day
world: copying photographs. As a result a mountain of dreary images that
"look just like photographs" accumulated. And they all look exactly alike.
And now, 25 years later the bottom is beginning to fall out of that market.
 I always figured paleoart would be safe from this kind of...a..."stuff",
the subject matter being rather unavailable for photography. But now there
is an abundance of really high-quality sculptures available and look what's
happened. Here we go again.
 What really frosts me is that these guys steal creativity, research, and
the ability to make a living and probably can write off the expenses of
buying the art they swipe. We'll see more of this.
 In a recent interview, Doug Henderson said, "I'm not sure the future of
Paleo illustration is headed for a golden age. There could be a big
shakedown." If this kind of thing keeps up, he'll be right.
 Dan Varner