Re: Thescelosaurus & Tenontosaurus

Okay, to reiterate:

I posted a message contained a possible connection between
*Thescelosaurus* and *Tenontosaurus*. I said that the long-tailed
Tenonto was derived from *Thescelosaurus*, but I made a mistake in my
research. I appologize.

*Thescelosaurus* is actually the younger genus, so the roles _would_ be
switched, if I stayed on this line, but I'm not. Instead, I'm refining
it.

One:  *Thescelosaurus'* pelvis is more reminiscent of the Tenonto than
it is of its other relatives, *Hypsilophodon* and -- to a degree --
*Dryosaurus*. The postacetabular process is abbreviated and dorsally
"lifted", with a stubby pubis (in the Tenonto, this is just shorter) but
the ischium is narrow, slender, while the Tenonto's is broad
rostrocaudally. There is precedence for the similarities:
*Hypsilophodon*, thick ischium -- *Dryosaurus*, thin and curved --
*Camptosaurus*, thick and booted with slight curved -- *Iguanodon*, long
and curved, robust but still slender. The morphism is varied, so the
ischium isn't really diagnostic to separate the two.

Two: the femora are almost identical; the Tenonto's is broader distally,
like a ball, while *Thescelosaurus'* is not, but both are strait, the
notch at the capitulum for the ilio-femoralis muscle (I don't know the
notch's scientific name).

Three: the humeri are also nearly identical, save for the Tenonto's
larger deltopectoral crest, which is unique for almost all the
iguanodontoid ornithopods. (I don't see the scapula as diagnostic, for
it, like the Tenonto's humerus, is the only occasion for the proximal
widening to this degree.)

Four: the jugal bone does not over the proximal maxilla as much as it
does in all other ornithopods -- except for *Tenontosaurus* and
*Ouranosaurus*. This causes a short orbit ventrally. (The skeletal
restoration of *Thescelosaurus* -- in _The Complete Dinosaur_ by Farlow
and Brett-Surman, an excellent book in my estimation -- shows this very
low skull rather well. I restored *Thescelosaurus'* skull indepentenly
of Greg Paul's bones-in-a-silhouette restoration, based on the dorsal
cranial bones as in the original specimen, before the new find, and came
up with a more dryosaur--tenontosaur-ish skull. I even got the mandible
nearly the same as in GSP's. But I disagree with the low head on it's
sheer, very similar in fact to *Ouranosaurus*.)

Five: the manus and pes of the two are more similar than in any other
iguanodont to either; the ulnae and radii are both arranged similarly
and stiffened so; the pes in *Tenontosaurus* is more robust than in
*Thescelosaurus*, but the Tenonto was a whole lot bigger, besides, and
required the extra support.

Six: the vertebrae count in the following dinosaurs:
*Hypsilophodon*: cerv. - 9, dors. - 15, sac. - 5, caud. - 40+
                             total - 69+

*Dryosaurus*: cerv. - 10, dors. - 13, dorsac. - 1, sac. - 6, caud. - 47
                             total - 77

*Camptosaurus*: cerv. - 11, dors. - 13, sac. - 5, caud. - 50
                             total - 79

*Tenontosaurus*: cerv. - 12, dors. - 16, sac. - 5, caud. - 59
                             total - 92

*Thescelosaurus*: cerv. - 9, dors. - 14, dorsac. - 1, sac. - 6, caud. -
48
                             total - 78

-- all figures are based on GSP's reconstructions; *Hypsilophodon's
tail-tip is hidden, so I can't count the rest, and *Thescelosaurus* may
have a second dorsosacral, making the sacrals number only 5.

*Thescelosaurus* resembles *Dryosaurus* most in this systematic, while
there seems to be a hypsi--dryo--campto--tenonto trend going on, with
*Thescelosaurus* building off of *Dryosaurus*, which is my own theory
(previously, I had supposed a hypsi--thescelo--dryo connection, but this
was based on impromptu publishing, eager to present, rather than
research thouroughly, as I try to do here).

a plausible clade:

Hypsilophodon

Dryosaurus---------
Camptosaurus   Tenontosaurus   |
|                                                   Thescelosaurus
Iguanodon

\ = where clade requires intermediate genus or species to clarify: a
ghost taxa.

I am an optimistic amateur, but I feel I am making a good, scientific
query here. Please, feel free to critique.

Jaemei