Re: Feathered lizards?

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Alan Sinder wrote:

>       I'm more interested in the common links between birds and
> dinosaurs. Has there every been a fossil record of featherless avians?
Plenty of avian fossils without feather impressions, but none showing a
uniform unfeathered surface. In short, no proof of unfeathered avians.

> Any crocs with a colorful feathered crown?
No sir!

> Any beaks with teeth?
Primitive ornithomimosaurs, therizinosauroids (a.k.a. segnosaurs), all
ornithischians, many extinct birds. Some extinct neornithine birds
(related to pelicans, I believe) called pseudontornithids had tooth-like
structures growing from their beaks.

Outside of dinosaurs, I think rhynchosaurs and dicynodonts had beaks and
teeth. Also turtles, of course.

> And has there ever been a feathered mammal?
Angels, harpies, gryphons, pegasi, etc.

--T. Mike Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu
http://umbc.edu/~tkeese1 -- Dinosaur Web Pages