DEINONYCHOSAURIA

In a message dated 97-11-27 20:27:29 EST, chrisas@elnet.com writes:

<< As far as I know, there is no Deinonychosauria.  If there was, it
 would be named the Dromaeosauria, since Dromaeosaurus is the first
 known Dromaeosaurid.  Anyway, you must be thinking of the
 Velociraptorini, a subfamily of the Dromaeosauridae, which includes
 (of course) Velociraptor and its closest relatives.>>

In fact, there is a Deinonychosauria named.  In a poster presentation by
Padian, Hutchenson and Holtz (I think in that order).  It is defined as
something like "all animals that share a more recent common ancestor with
_Deinonychus_ than with [insert your favorite bird here].  Thus,
Deinonychosauria is a stem based clade.  Dromaeosauridae is a node based
clade WITHIN Deinonychosauria defined as the most recent common ancestor of
_Dromaeosaurus_ and _Velociraptor_ and all of its descendants.
 Velociraptorinae and Dromaeosaurinae are both stem based clades within the
Dromaeosauridae node.

You see, it is like squares and rectangles.....  Not all deinonychosaurs are
dromaeosaurids, but all dormaesaurids are deinonychosaurs...

 <<     Also, I today saw the illustration of "Megaraptor" in Nat'l Geo.
 The illustration makes it look about the size of Albertosaurus.  I
 have a hard time believing that a Dromaeosaur body frame could hold
 all that mass.  Anyone heard more about it? >>

I don't think that it's quite that big....   Maybe the size of a medium
allosaur...   Think again how big _Velociraptor_ *really* is.

Peter Buchholz
Tetanurae@aol.com

Excuse me...  I am a lost little boy, can someone please help me?