Jim Gurney bashing

Well, to begin with, I really liked his Giganotosaurus painting. I think its
one of his best works. Now I didn't know he copied it off of a Tricic
skulpture, though, so I imagine the skulpture is better (I think I've seen it).

I think Jim has gotten better over the years. You can tell which drawings he
has 'ripped' off by looking at his Dinotopia and which one's he had to do on
his own, there is a difference.

Brian has expressed his opinion of Jim and his work, and he brings up a valid
point. I've seen for years, other artist being ripped off by other artisit. A
lot of it is in childrens books, and not only the pose but the style is ripped
off also. Some of the mistakes are drawn over and over and then more are made.
What the artist need to do is research, but it's far easier to just rip off
another artist.

But then there is the case of a use (for a lack of a better word) of a pose.
Brian has painted a Chirostenotes in a pose that I drew for George Olshevsky's
Archiosaurian Articulations many a moon ago. This was the first skeletal and
life restoration of Chirostenotes and I gave the animal a short tail. (I'm
really curious to see how Sues  depicts the new Chirostenotes materal). I am
flattered by Brian and I'm glad to see it done in color, since I don't paint
(at least not yet). But this is a different case than what Gurney does. I'm not
sure if Jim understands what he is doing or not, but if he isn't he should be
told.

For Greg Paul this is a big problem, his works are always being 'ripped' off.

Even George Olshevsky has had his ankylosaur drawings ripped off. We laugh each
time we see a new book with HIS drawing of one of his anykylosaurs still being
used. Again the artist isn't doing his research.

Can something be done about this? Who does one contact? The artist or the
publisher? And more importantly, would they even care? Probably not.

Tracy