Re: Re :_DEINONYCHOSAURIA

In a message dated 97-11-28 09:24:17 EST, forelf@internet19.fr writes:

<< I think Deinonychosauria was coined by Sereno to encompass Troodantidae
and
 Dromaeosauridae. This group is often refused, because most paleontologists
 (I think, because I'm not (yet) one) think Troodontids are closer to
 Ornithomimids. >>

I'm not sure, who in fact coined the term originally, I think it may have
been Gauthier back in 1986, but as far as I know, Padian et al were the first
to define it cladistically, so their definition sticks.  I do know,
historically, it has been used as the group containing dromaeosaurs and
saurornithoidids, but it had never been defined as such.

Peter Buchholz
Tetanurae@aol.com

One day, I didn't eat for four days