Re: Cursorial adaptations (was T.rex and elephants)

> > How, then, do you explain Pachyrhinosaurus?  I can't see whatever it
had on
> > its snout being much use except in shoving matches.
> > --
>       Rhinos and elephants also have head-to-head shoving matches,
> (no not rhino v's elephant, excuse my ambiguous syntax) but they manage
> to avoid doing any great damage to each other from horn or tusk.
> Watching such displays it is a miracle that they don't at least put
> an eye out or something, but since these creatures have grown up
> learning how to handle their weaponry they seem to be adequately
> skilled at avoiding unnecessary injuries.
>
> --
>       Dann Pigdon
>       Melbourne, Australia

Another thing to remember is that most animals will try to avoid
intraspecific confrontation, and if they do confront one another they will
do their best to not hurt one another.  Confrontation is very energetically
expensive, if they confront one another then that is energy that they will
not be able to use when it comes time for the important part of passing on
their genetic material.  Keep in mind that not only do other males (or
females depending on the species) not want a rival male/female from mating
with females/males, but the females/males  don't tend to be very receptive
and put up a little struggle (whether it be a chase like in some mountain
sheep, or require an elaborate mating dance as in some birds).  Just a
point to ponder.

Casey T.
TUCKERCJ@MUohio.edu
Miami University