Re: gender

There is a special bone at the base of Tyrannosaur tales.  It is similar to
the bones found in modern crocodillians.  If the bone is missing, then it's
a she rex (missing bone allows for egg laying room), if it's present then
it is a he rex (allows for penile muscle attachment).  Not to mention the
fact that Sue is of one of two morphs (robust & gracile).  What they find
is that the more robust form lack the bones, and the gracile forms have the
bones.  What this suggests is a sexual dimorphism that is opposite to what
we see in humans, but is seen in modern birds, crocodillians, insects, and
a wide variety of other animals.  That sexual dimorphism is one in which
the female is the larger, more aggressive, of the species, rather than the
male.  This may have something to do with obtaining enough nutrients for
egg production, or it may have something to do with other things.  We don't
know.  But that is how they can make a safe assumption that SUE was a
female.

Hope this help!

Casey T.
TUCKERCJ@MUohio.edu
Miami University
Oxford, OH

P.S.  I'll be gone for a couple of days so please forgive me if it takes me
a little while to respond.  (No, I won't be at SVP.  However, I wish I were
:-\ )