Re: Egg eating

Matthew Troutman wrote:

> Dann Pigdon wrote:
>
> >       Are the teeth that different from those of monitor lizards?
> >Monitors are the scourge of bird and crocodile alike due to their
> >fondness of eggs. They also tend to scavenge quite a bit, perhaps
> >more so that hunting live prey. I'm not suggesting that dromies
> >(love that word) weren't hunters. I'm just putting forward a few
> >other possibilities to see what happens. If you can refute them,
> >then fine, we all learn something. If not then they remain
> >possibilities.
>
>  I think it may of been likely the dromaeosaurids may of eaten eggs on
> occasion. Eggs are easy nutrition and are quite delicious. But I do not
> see  them as habitual  eggeaters because they are too big to slip by
> nests without notice ( see Jim Kirkland's article in Dinosaur Eggs and
> Babies for more details.)
>
>  WMattTroutman

        Too big? Most dromies were probably only in the 2 to 3 metre
length range, probably with a lot of species less than 2 metres.
The perentie is our largest Australian monitor, at around 3 m long,
and it regurarly raids bird, croc and turtle eggs.
        Also, given the size of some dinos and their respective nests,
I'd say the smaller dromies could have slipped in and out quite
easily, especially if the parents left the eggs unattended at
times as many modern birds do.
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia

        Dinosaur Reconstructions: