Re: Protoavis?

> In Britain, Cretaceous mammals and other small animals are often found
> in infilled cracks in Carboniferous strata.

     If you are referring to the Welsh fissure fillings, those would be
Rhaetian-Hettangian (Triassic-Jurassic), unless there are some others I
don't know about (In which case, please enlighten me!)
     In any case, the fossils are IN Triassic sediments.  The fact that
they are surrounded by Carboniferous rocks is besides the point.  The only
way to get a fossil deposited in one age into sediments of another age is
for it to be reworkerked and deposited LATER, not earlier as would be the
case if you put Jurassic fossils in Triassic sediments.  As I recall,
Protoavis WAS largely surface collected from stuff that had eroded out,
but I think some of it was still in situ.  Someone please correct me on
this.

LN Jeff
O-