Re: lay person

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997 03:51:42 -0400 (EDT) JH6669@aol.com writes:
>I believe we need scientific names to keep everything straight and
>scientific, but most people don't run around calling everything by
>it's
>scientific name.  That is what common names are for.  So the lay person
>doesn't have to try to pronounce some of the unpronounceable names.

Some animals have no common names.  What then? Everyone make up their
own?  This has happened many times, and it still comes down to the
scientific name if we want to communicate important information about
that creature.  Common names are fine, as long as the scientific name is
readily available.

Sometimes the scientific name becomes the common one (Boa constrictor,
Tyrannosaurus, many plants and flowers).  So some lay people _do_ run
around calling these things by their scientific name.  It's all a matter
of what you are used to, and how you are trained.

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com