Re: Still more claws

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997 18:51:55 -0400 (EDT) MBell16766@aol.com writes:
>It must be a slow day on the net. I was finally able to get to the
>feature on
>cats at the National Geographic website,
>http://www.nationalgeographic.com/
>Hit search more features, then 1997 features, then search for cats.
>It's
>loaded with superb drawings and paintings by Mauricio Anton.
>I was delighted to find an animated(!) diagram by Anton of just
>exactly how
>the retractable claw of a cat works. Those of you interested in the
>recent
>discussions about dromaeosaur claws might want to check this out. Lots
>of
>great sabertooth drawings and paintings as well.

I had been looking at a cat skeleton, engrossed in the details of the
foot, and trying to remember the details of when my graduate mammology
lab dissected one, when you mentioned this!  Thanks!  I think this will
help people visualize how complex , yet elegant, the soft tissues that
work a cat's claws are and how perhaps a dromaeosaur's foot could have
been similar.  Why not have a sheathed claw, even if the toes were not
padded?  Why not have canine or felid type padding anyway?  Certainly the
form of a hadrosaur foot was only guessed at before a mummified hadrosaur
was found with feet intact.

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com