Re: lay person

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997 03:42:53 -0400 (EDT) JH6669@aol.com writes:
>I am aware of very few animals who have no common names.  could you
>list a
>few for me (let's not use the obvious ones such as the tyrannosaurus
>or the
>boa).  I'd be willing to bet that most animals are called by common
>names,
>and these do differ in locations, that's why we have the scientific
>names, to
>keep it all straight.

I am not an entomologist, but any professional in that field could give
you at least 100 insects for which a common name does not exist, because
they are either 1) tiny, obscure and overlooked, or 2) new to Western
science (i.e., tropical species).   The same goes for many tropical
plants, fungi, arachnids, nematodes, slugs, soil microbes, etc.  Granted,
tropical peoples have names for the obvious plants, insects, and animals
in their vicinity in their language, but we don't yet.  And I doubt the
natives have common names for the soil microbes!  Especially the ones
that are symbiotic with specific tree, shrub and plant roots [like those
with legumes].

Judy Molnar
vlmed@juno.com
jamolnar@juno.com