Re: Theropod eating and attacking

On  1 Sep 97 at 23:16, Jonathon Woolf wrote:

> However, it might be worth pointing out that the currently dominant
> group of large herbivorous mammals, the ruminants, would find it
> difficult if not impossible to chew and crack bones.  Ruminants
> don't have upper incisors, and I don't think they have any canines
> at all, two facts that make it very hard for them to bite anything
> and do damage.  I also know that ranchers usually put out 'salt
> blocks' for their cattle, with the 'salt' being mineral salts, not
> ordinary sodium chloride.  The cattle lick the salt blocks, and
> break down the mineral salts to get the minerals they need.

The same is often true for horses in stables and for pet rabbits for
instance. They also get mineral blocks to lick for the minerals they
need. In the wild these blocks are not available, so all these
animals must get their minerals from some other source in the wild.

If it's not gnawing on found bones, then what might it be? Minerals
from the soil? The normal wildlife diet? Interesting problem...

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:jpeschie@cs.ruu.nl    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej