Re: DROMAEOSAUR "SICKLE" CLAWS

Paul Sparks wrote:

> Cats (feline) will grasp their prey with the front claws and then tear the
> hell out of its with the ped claws. My cats can literally tear my skin to
> shreads if I were to let them and they do not suffer loss of claws or any
> other damage. They can go right thru my skin with no effort. Anyone who would
> like to verify this just put a cat on its side and scratch its stomache. The
> way out is to relax. I can easily see the same (but better) use of the big
> cycle claws on these dinos. And remember they would be covered with a sheath
> (like my cats) that will make things even more dangerous.

It's far easier to shred something with eight claws (cats) than it is with
two (dromaeosaurs). There is a great difference between the paddle-shaped
foot of a cat and the tridactyl foot of a theropod: design-wise, they are
not comparable as "weaponry". There is also a difference between flaying
flesh and disemboweling. Is there any evidence of a pride of lions taking
down prey larger than themselves and then all together disemboweling it
with the claws on their feet?

(An aside: my cat Spot comes into my studio several times a day, flops onto
her back, and lets me vigorously rub her tummy; her claws *never* come into
play)

Brian (franczak@ntplx.net)