Re: Big = Old = Advanced?

John Bois writes;

>One more thing.  A deer can carry this strategy better than a dinosaur on
>account of nursing.  It may eat high quality forage and convert this
>energy to milk, lie quietly while the fawn suckles, and tip toe away.
>The dinosaur either would bring undigested matter or regurgitate its
>hatchling's meal.  The retching hadrosaurs (a good name for a band) might
>give the game away.  I know, she could do that quietly, too (I couldn't
>resist the image, though).

Just a thought, but do modern seabirds make any real noise when they
regurgitate
food for their chick (along those same lines, include ruminants in this
question)?  AFAIK, species that display "intentional regurgitation" might do so
quietly; it is the UN-intentional form that can get noisy.

Anyone sick yet?  Let's change gears a little. :^)

It has been mentioned before that nesting hadrosaurs may have followed a
similar nesting strategy to penguins and other seabirds.  Perhaps this safety
in numbers
defence helped in two ways.  Firstly, it would provide many more eyes and ears
to watch for danger.  Along those same lines, a mob of angry hadrosaurs may
have
been enough to get even T. rex to change it's dinner reservations.

Secondly, could the hadrosaurs be following the sea turtle's strategy;
producing
so many offspring that there is no way the predators could get them all?
People have mentioned before that a single hadrosaur put out a lot of eggs.
Does this demonstrate the hadrosaurs putting out so many young that they
overwhelm the system?

Perhaps the truth is with a combination of these two scenarios.

With Laughter,

Rob Meyerson

***
"Don't Panic."