Call for Papers

     As part of the Spring (late April or early May; the exact date hasn't
     been set yet) 1999 (1999 is right; nobody can say that I don't give
     plenty of warning) meeting of the North-Central Section of the
     Paleontological Society, to be held in Urbana, Illinois, I am
     organizing a symposium on the topic of

     Functional Morphology and Paleobiology of Fossil Vertebrates

     I am interested in getting papers from persons who work on any
     taxonomic group of fossil vertebrates (fishes, amphibians, reptiles,
     birds, mammals), whether terrestrial, freshwater, or marine, of any
     geologic age.  My chief interest is in presentations concerned with
     interpreting the organisms in question as living animals (locomotion,
     feeding, reproduction, physiology, behavior, paleoecology--you name
     it).  I am especially interested in interdisciplinary studies,
     particularly those that involve collaborations between paleontologists
     and ecologists, physiologists, and other "neontologists"; see, for
     example, the kinds of collaborations that appeared in J.O. Farlow
     (editor, 1989, _Paleobiology of the Dinosaurs_, GSA Special Paper
     238--but note that the symposium announced here is NOT limited to
     studies of dinosaurs).

     Presentations tightly focused on a narrow aspect of the paleobiology of
     a single species or group are fine, but broad, synthetic analyses,
     involving large taxonomic groups or faunas, will also be of interest.
     Ichnological studies, insofar as they are used to address
     paleobiological questions, are welcome.  Systematic studies in and of
     themselves are not of interest, but systematic analyses employed in
     support of functional morphological or other paleobiological studies
     are encouraged.

     Should there be enough interest, I will explore the possibility of
     finding a publisher for the symposium volume.

     If you are interested in participating in this meeting, please let me
     know the topic of your prospective contribution by DECEMBER 31, 1997.
     You can either respond electronically, or send hard copies to:

     James O. Farlow
     Department of Geosciences
     Indiana-Purdue University
     2101 Coliseum Boulevard East