Re: Nesting strategies (was Big = Old = Advanced?)

 -----Original Message-----
From: Rob Meyerson <rjmeyer@ix.netcom.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Friday, September 05, 1997 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: Nesting strategies (was Big = Old = Advanced?)

LN Jeff writes;

>     The type of theropods that would cause massive infant mortality would
>be small types like dromeosaurs and troodontids.  I doubt they would be
>very deterred by the presence of tyrannosaurs; they may have even liked
>having them around to provide scavenging material.

>Yet, dromaeosaur territory would be effected by the larger carnivores.
Studies on wolf and coyote> >interaction out west show that the coyotes tend
to thrive in the areas that wolves will not go (near >human habitation,
along wolf pack territory borders, etc...).  Theoretically, if a hadrosaur
nest was well >within a tyrannosaur's living range, it would be relatively
safe from dromaeosaur attacks.

But would it follow the wolf - coyote pattern, or would it take an African
style pattern, i.e. lion - jackal, hyena - cheetah, or lion - hyena?  The
wolf - coyote pattern would seem to apply to the different species of
tyranosaurids,  with the smaller being driven into more marginal areas by
the larger.  The African pattern seems closer to the dromeosaur -
tyrannosaur idea.  The idea being, would they directly compete like lions
and hyenas(which ever side has the advantage driving the others off), would
the dromaeosaurs scavenge like jackals, or would the tyrannosaurs plunder
the dromaeosaur kills like hyenas and lions do to cheetahs?