Cladistics - Simple Question # 1

In my never ending struggle to understand the subtle shadings of
cladistics, I'm trying to boil down the complexities to some simple
questions which I hope y'all will indulge and perhaps offer some
thoughts:

Question 1 (of a limited edition series)

What question does Cladistics seek to answer?

So that's it.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
ES

Dinosaur Central
http://www.dinosaur.org
Yahoo Editor's Choice, Science Site of the Day, Member of The Paleo Ring

Summer
http://www.dinosaur.org/teefr.html
Book Three of the Teddy Trilogy. Member of The Author Ring.

Laser Publishing Group
Planetarium Station, Box 502-DIG, NY, NY 10024-0502