Re: Therizinosaurs and the Maniraptora

At 03:43 AM 9/6/97 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 97-09-06 03:14:02 EDT, znc14@ttacs1.ttu.edu writes:
>
><< >Segnosaurs aren't bullatosaurs, nor coelurosaurs, nor manuraptorans, nor
>         ManIraptor. Sorry, priority rules. Alternatively, "Manuraptora" is
> not defined. >>
>
>Check the new Baryonyx paper before flying off the handle.
        Can't yet, we don't get that journal here, and ILL will take a few
weeks to dig it up. Who's flying off the handle?
        My point being that I can see no circumstances short of petitioning
the ICZN (which, as I recall, does not rule on suprafamilial taxa) in which
Drs. Charig and Milner could respell Maniraptora. Yes, their criticism of
Gauthier's use of "manal" and the "man-" stem for hand when the correct stem
is more properly rendered as "manu-" is most valid. However, the taxon has
been named, and is in the literature.
        Dr. Milner might get away with naming a slightly different taxon
"Manuraptora", and then preferentially using that one, but that seems a bit
too confusing. My understanding is that she is an upstanding and practical
scientist, and I hazzard to guess she would not contribute to such confusion.
        Wagner
               "Not the One..." -- Zathras (not Zathras)