Re: Mesozoic alligators

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Paul Willis wrote:

> Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 09:18:18 +1100
> From: Paul Willis <pwillis@ozemail.com.au>
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Mesozoic alligators
>
> I had quite a few requests for references on Mesozoic alligators so I
> thought I would post it to the list. This is the result of a search on the
> words "Alligat" and "Cretaceous" on my Endnote library of crocodilian
> references.
>
> A. Sun, 1958. A new species of Paralligator from Sungarian Plain., Vert.
> Palas. 2: 277 - 281,
>
> A. D. Buscalioni and J. L. Sanz, 1990. Montsecosuchus depereti
> (Crocodylomorpha, Atoposauridae), new determination for Alligatorium
> depereti Vidal, 1915 (early Cretaceous, Spain): redescription and
> phylogenetic relationships., Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 10: 244 -
> 254,
>
> B. R. Erickson, 1972. Alligator Ancestors, The Explorer 14: 18 - 21,
> Z. Dong, 1974. Some fossil crocodiles from Sinkiang, Vert. Palas. 12: 187 -
> 189,
>
> R. Owen, 1884, A history of British fossil reptiles, Cassell & Company
> Limited, London, 1:
>
> C. Pol, A. D. Buscalioni, J. Carballeira, V. Francés, N. L. Martinez, B.
> Marandat, J. J. Moratalla, J. L. Sanz, B. Sigé and J. Villatte, 1992.
> Reptiles and mammals from the late Cretaceous new locality Quintanilla del
> Coco (Burgos Province, Spain), N. Jb. Geol. Paläont. Abh. 184: 279 - 314,
>
> C. C. Young, 1964. New fossil crocodiles from China, Vert. Palas. 8: 189 -
> 208,
>
> C. W. Gilmore, 1911. A new fossil alligator from the Hell Creek Beds of
> Montana, Proc. U. S. Nat. Mus. 41: 297 - 301,
>
> R. Lydekker, 1888, Catalogue of the Fossil Reptilia and Amphibia in the
> British Museum (Natural History). Part 1, Trustees of the British Museum
> (Natural History), London,
>
> R. Owen, 1850. Monograph on the fossil reptilia of the London Clay. Part
> II. Crocodilia, Ophidia., Palaeontographical Society Monographs 5-49,
>
> A. D. Buscalioni, 1986, Cocodrilos fosiles del registro Español. Analisis
> sitematico y filogenetico de la familia Atoposauridae (Reptilia,
> Crocodilia)., Universidad Autonoma de Madrid,
>
> E. D. Cope, 1874. Review of the Vertebrata of the Cretaceous Period found
> west of the Mississippi River., Bulliten of the United States Geological
> and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 2: 5-48,
>
> M. A. Norell, J. M. Clark and J. H. Hutchinson, 1994. The late Cretaceous
> alligatorid Brachyuranochampsa Montana  (Crocodylia): new material nad
> putative relationships, American Museum Novitates 3116: 1/26,
>

> Happy reading!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul
>

> Dr Paul M.A. Willis
> Consulting Vertebrate Palaeontologist
> Quinkana Pty Ltd
> pwillis@ozemail.com.au

Here's a few more:

X.-C. Wu, D. B. Brinkman, and A. P. Russell, 1996. A new alligator from
the Upper Cretaceous of Canada and the relationships of early eusuchians.
Palaeontology 39(2): 351-375.

T. E. Williamson, 1996. ?Brachychampsa sealeyi, sp. nov., (Crocodylia,
Alligatoroidea) from the Upper Cretaceous (Lower Campanian) Menefee
Formation, northwestern New Mexico. JVP 16(3): 421-431.

B. R. Erickson, 1972. Albertochampsa langstoni, gen. et sp. nov., a new
alligator from the Cretaceous of Alberta. Science Publications of the
Science Museum of Minnesota, new series 2: 1-13.

Good luck

                        --Shawn Zack