Re: Burning questions

I don't know about the rest of the questions, but the answer to number
three is that it was sold to a Japanese buyer.  For what price, I don't
know.  I got to see the "bog" that it was found in several years ago.  It
got its name from the fact that it was found on the Burning Tree Golf
Course around Newark, Ohio.  The owner of the course wanted to create a
water hazard so he began to do some excavation of a small
marsh/bog/pond-like area and found the mastodon.  If my memory serves me
correctly this find was very unique because they found 13,000 y.o. bacteria
still alive in an area that would have been the animals stomach.

I hope this helps! :-}

Casey T.
TUCKERCJ@MUohio.edu
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio

----------
> From: JManasco@aol.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: Burning questions
> Date: Sunday, September 07, 1997 2:10 AM
>
> This enquiring museumgoer would like information on various specimens
I've
> encountered.  Especially would like to be steered to any coverage of the
same
> in either scientific or popular press.
>
>        1.  the titanosaur is presently being prepared at the Field Museum
of
> NH, and
>             destined for display.  I'd like to find out more about the
> specimen.
>
>        2.  the Children's Museum of Indianapolis features a free-standing
> mount (cast)
>             of a small ornithischian dinosaur which bears a nasal horn.
The
> mount
>             stands approximately 18 - 24 inches at the hip.  Any idea as
> what the
>             animal is?
>
>        3.  a message in the archive makes reference to the Burning Tree
> Mastodon,
>             found in Ohio, as having been sold to someone or some
institution
> in Japan
>             for $625,000.  Is this true?  Not to doubt the statement, but
> earlier this year
>             I'm certain I happened across an offering of the specimen for
> sale on the
>             webpage of one of the many fossil dealers found on the
internet.
>  Several
>             weeks later I attempt to re-find it, and couldn't.  can
anyone
> confirm the
>             specimen's sale to Japan -- and more details?
>
>        4.  the museum at the University of Colorado in Boulder displays
the
> partial
>             skeleton (scapular, partial pelvis, vertebrae) of "Ralphie"
--
> purportedly the
>             oldest dinosaur skeleton from North America (ca. 225 million
> years old).
>             The carnivore was found near Tucumcari, New Mexico in 1981 by
Ken