Re: Predator relationships

> From:          Chris Campbell <sankarah@ou.edu>

 Interestingly, though, the cheetah is on average larger than
> most leopards;

"Panthera pardus" is the leopard I assume you are referring
to(Africa,Asia,Middle East, India).  Females are rather small at
90-105lbs, but males reach 150 routinely and 200 not unusually.  Male
cheetahs average about 90-105lbs with females 80-95.  Neither is a
match for a leopard, male or female.  Leopards are the Michael
Jordans of the big cats.  They can easily leap 10feet up in the air
and 20-25 feet horizontally.  They are pound for pound possibly the
strongest of the big cats, and can easily kill a man.  You can walk
with cheetahs, but I wouldn't recommend it with a leopard.

> it could fight off a lone hyena or maybe even two
> relatively easily, but not without risk of injury.

Cheetahs don't mess with hyenas, period.  A hyena is higher on the
totem pole than the leopard, and one on one will steal a leopards
meal.

I would recommend "Great Cats and Their Fossil Relatives".

BTW, I rechecked, and sabre tooths are not conical but blade like
hence the names dirk and sabre.  At least some were sharp/and or
serrated.  Apparently many lived in burrows dug by giant tortoise,
which I thought would interest some on the list re:dinosaurs and
burrows.  Also, it's thought most did not die killing prey, just like
todays predators(personal communication latter statement).

I have spent very little time on the climate and geology of the late
Cretaceous of NA.  I am confused about the terrain, climate, and so
forth.  Is there a recent book out there that is comprehensive and
not incredibly difficult to read? I just cannot get to the library
anymore.  One where you don't have to be a climatologist to
understand it.

Michael