Re: If you don't like Alligators, don't look (long)

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Tracy Ford wrote:

> Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 04:10:16 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Tracy Ford <tlford@ix.netcom.com>
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: If you don't like Alligators, don't look (long)
>
> Ok, this is a short list of my larger list on the  Family:
> Alligatoridae
>
> Alligator sp
>
> This is the earliest referrence that I have of Alligator
>
> GRANDE, 1984
>
> G-1, Fossil Lake, within a few miles of Fossil Butte National Monument,
>
> Wyoming.
>
> Laney Member, Green River Formation, Eocene.

The small gators from the Green River Formation are probably
Procaimanoidea sp., although they're undescribed as far as I know.

> Caiman neivensis
>
> Referred material:
>
> UC locality V-4932, Huila Colombia, South America.
>
> Honda Formation, Railway Bridge Locality, Late Miocene.

See below on Purussaurus

> Procaimanoidea sp
>
> Inversand marl pit in Swell, Mantua, Township, New Jersey.
>
> Basal Hornerstown Formation, Late Cretaceous.

Is this material described? If so, I'd be really interested in a citation.

> Purussaurus brasiliensis
>
> Purus River, Brazil.
>
> Late Miocene.
>
> (Note: Does anyone have the reference to the huge skull that is
> referred to this genus?
> I don't have it yet, and I've heard that it is published)

I've seen Caiman neivensis referred to Purussaurus, and there's a
described skull of that gator from La Venta (in Langston's big monograph
on La Venta crocs), maybe that's the skull in question.