Re: Predator relationships also (DROMAEOSAUR "SICKLE" CLAWS)

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Michael wrote:

> > From:          Chris Campbell <sankarah@ou.edu>
>
>  Both hyenas and lions get away with stealing food from
> > cheetahs not because the cheetahs are too small to fight back but rather
> > because they have a pathological fear of fighting.  They won't do it,
> > even if they have a good chance of winning.
>
> Cheetahs will fight back if they think they can.  They run
> jackals and vultures off routinely(if the latter don't overwhelm
> them).  They are just nervous high strung animals built for speed.
> They are no match for lion, hyena or leopard as you pointed out.
>
> >Hyenas and lions face off  not because they're matched in size and
> >strength but rather because the hyaenas run in larger packs and are
> >extremely aggressive (spotted  hyenas, mind you; totally different
> >story with the smaller striped and  brown hyenas).
>
> I would look at that relationship more in terms of competition
> rather than hyenas being that aggressive.  If hyenas think they have
> the upper hand they will press lions who may or may not assert
> themselves, depending on what they are defending and numbers/support.
> Hyena are more persistent in my eyes than aggressive, although I
> wouldn't tell that to one face to face without a stick or something.
>
> I suspect predator relationships were just as dynamic and complex in
> the Cretaceous.  I'm not sure what could chase off a Tyrannosaur, but
> who knows.  I'd love to be able to go back and observe, but not
> ground based.:))
>
> As always, this is only an opinion, subject to
> retraction and recall without notice, and with
> due respect to others opinions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Teuton MD

I have no idea about this thought, and will probably get brow-beat by all
the happy paleo-people, but I'll throw it into the fray all the same.
With the subject of large cats and how they interact being used as a
comparison for how predatory dinosaurs may have behaved around one
another, I began to think about leopards and how they interact with any
of the larger predators that they interact with on the savannah.
Now say Dromaeosaur's were commonly having there munchies taken from
them by larger predators or by smaller carnosaurs attacking in larger
numbers.  If this were the case, would it be conceivable for them to try
and drag a small carcass into a tree using their large foot talons?  This
is assuming, of course, that, as with leopards, this would provide the
dromaeosaur a place to eat in relative safety.