Re: Predator relationships also (DROMAEOSAUR "SICKLE" CLAWS)

crantz@UWYO.EDU wrote:

> I have no idea about this thought, and will probably get brow-beat by all
> the happy paleo-people, but I'll throw it into the fray all the same.
> With the subject of large cats and how they interact being used as a
> comparison for how predatory dinosaurs may have behaved around one
> another, I began to think about leopards and how they interact with any
> of the larger predators that they interact with on the savannah.
> Now say Dromaeosaur's were commonly having there munchies taken from
> them by larger predators or by smaller carnosaurs attacking in larger
> numbers.  If this were the case, would it be conceivable for them to try
> and drag a small carcass into a tree using their large foot talons?  This
> is assuming, of course, that, as with leopards, this would provide the
> dromaeosaur a place to eat in relative safety.

I like this idea, although I'd imagine the fore claws being used
for climbing and the "swivel" foot claws being used as anchors
in a manner similar to the hind feet of cats. This would require
strong neck muscles for the beast to hold the carcass in its
mouth, a la leopard, depending on the size of the carcass. This
may be tenable with smaller dromaeosaur species, but how
many deinonychus would it take to drag a tenontosaur up a tree?
(No, that's not the first line of a joke). If young dromaeosaurs
were independant then perhaps they adopted this behaviour until
they reached adulthood and (presumedly) formed packs capable of
taking down large prey.
        Have any "family" groups of dromaeosaur been found, with
animals at various stages of growth, or are all of the associated
skeletons of adult size?

        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia
        http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj