Re: TLW REARS ITS UGLY HEAD ONCE AGAIN (was Re: Predator relationships)

Brian Franczak wrote:

> Chris Campbell wrote:
>
> > I suspect that the various Dromaeosaurs and large therapods had very
> >different lifestyles, and thus probably didn't come into contact much.
> >This is one of the few things I liked about _The_Lost_World_ (the other
> >being the nifty-keen effects); the portrayal of 'raptors as grassland
> >predators and the _T._rex_ as a more forest bound species was interesting
> >and fairly sensible.
>
> Oh puh-leeze! How can dromaeosaurs be "grassland predators" when there was
> no grass?! Can we please refrain from discussing real dinosaurs and
> JURASSIC PARK in the same breath?

Can we please relax?  In the context of the movie there most certainly
was grass, so the behavior was quite sensible.

> I'm sure plenty of people are tired of me
> bleating this same old note every time this comes up (trust me, no one is
> more sick of it than I am...), but can we please remember that despite the
> hiring of renowned dinosaur paleontologist Jack Horner as Scientific
> Consultant on The Lost World, and despite Spielberg's claims of accuracy,
> The Lost World IS ONLY A MOVIE, NOT A TREATISE ON DINOSAUR BEHAVIOR. Sorry,
> kids, but there were no real dinosaurs in TLW, only your typical,
> run-of-the-mill Hollywood monsters.

Can we please remember that most likely everyone on the list knows
this?  Read what I wrote; you'll see no mention of accuracy with regard
to behavior or anything else.  All I said was that their portrayal was
interesting and fairly sensible; if you keep it in context it's exactly
that.

Geez, mention one interesting point about the movie and everyone goes
ballistic.

Chris