Re: Predator relationships

> From:          Chris Campbell <sankarah@ou.edu>

 Tim Caro's work indicates the cheetahs of the Serengeti average
> about 40 kg and cheetahs of East Africa average around 60 kg.  Are you
> indicating the differences in leopards are more distinct than this?

Male leopards do have a greater disparity in size.  I think of it as
cheetah can only be so large to do what they do successfully.  This
would tend to keep both female and male weights down if the theory is
correct.  Leopards operate differently.  I don't know why male
leopards are so much larger unless it is male-male competition and
testosterone.  I'll have to find out. >

; I've heard that
> cheetahs are successful in bringing down some 90% of the animals they
> set out to catch (though Caro's work brings that percentage down to
> about 25-50%, which makes me wonder where the first figure came from),
> but they have a good half or more of their kills stolen so their success
> rate dramatically (with Caro's work that would drop the success rate to
> around 10-25%, which has gotta make you wonder how these buggers have
> managed to hang on for 10,000 years).

The figures I remember are 40% for leopard/lion and 70% for
dog/cheetah.  But you're right.  Cheetah lose a lot of kills
which does bring the number down.

> All this talk about success rates brings me to something a bit more on
> topic: what were the success rates of therapod hunters?

I don't know.  Maybe the experts have some ideas.  I would like to
hear their speculation, too.  I really was intrigued by the dino
climbing the tree with prey.  Wish I had thought of it, even if it's
preposterously improbable.

Michael