Re: Predator relationships

Jeffrey Martz wrote:

> > Yes, jackals and vultures might be driven off, and jackals might even be
> > harassed.  Interestingly, though, the cheetah is on average larger than
> > most leopards; it could fight off a lone hyena or maybe even two
> > relatively easily, but not without risk of injury.  Jackals and vultures
> > just don't fight back, and are thus easy pickings.  :)
>
>       Cheetahs are light weight sprinters.  I doubt they would tackle a
> hyena (or leopard) under any circumstances

I dunno, I wouldn't call 60 kilos very light (at least in terms of
cats).  That's bigger than most, if not all, female leopards, and that's
the mean weight of East African cheetahs.  These cats *are* capable of
fighting; intraspecific conflict is fairly common and often very
aggressive.  They just *don't* do it with other large cats or hyenas.  I
agree that they wouldn't fight other predators under any circumstances,
but they certainly *could* if they had a mind to.

OTOH, it's entirely possible that those with a mind to wound up with a
cut tendon or a broken bone and starved to death . . .

> > probably didn't come into contact much.  This is one of the few things I
> > liked about _The_Lost_World_ (the other being the nifty-keen effects);
> > the portrayal of 'raptors as grassland predators and the _T._rex_ as a
> > more forest bound species was interesting and fairly sensible.
>
>      Except that there wasn't any grass.

There was in the movie.  There wasn't any grass at the time, but if
there was it'd be perfect for dromies.

Chris