Re: Predator relationships

Chris Campbell wrote:
> <snip>
>  Some of your old growth forest is quite clear of underbrush
> and low limbs, so a _T._rex_ might have done fine there.

This would have been especially true in the Mesozoic, with all of
those large herbivores around. I always thought that the trees
featured in many dino reconstructions were giant tree ferns,
until I happened to notice the growth pattern at the top of
a live araucarian and it suddenly hit me: those pictures were
probably of araucarians that had been "pruned" by sauropods. I
suspect that if tyrannosaurs followed large herds of herbivores
around, that the prey themselves may have cleared the forest
areas of low lying branches.
        Dann Pigdon
        Melbourne, Australia
        http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj