Re: Smilodon teeth (was DROMAEOSAUR "SICKLE" CLAWS)

Spent a bunch of years working on this critter. Smilodont upper canine
roots extend well up into a heavy skull, terminating above the orbits if
I remember correctly. They are flattened blades with serrated margins,
particularly on the back side.The carnassials look hefty enough to me to
shear meat. The machairodont's forequarters are massive compared to a
modern lion or tiger. The bones are larger and more robust than seen in
the large La Brean Lion. In short, this felid is built like a tank. Most
cats use the claws to hold onto pray or to drag it down. The average
kitty can handle up to 5 times it's own weight that way ( check out
Gonyea's article back in the mid - seventies ). Tigers have little
difficulty pulling down 2,000 pound gaur bulls using their claw -
equipped fore limbs.It seems likely to me that cats like Smilodon and
Eusmilus dragged down and held their prey with their front claws,
positioning them for precise strikes into soft tissue, vein, and artery (
neck and throat ).In Smilodon, the head could be brought well back on the
neck and the lower jaw dropped down against the chest clearing the points
of the canines. The mastoids were awesome.The machairodont could survive
without its canines, however. Many skulls evidence broken teeth with
polished surfaces.

Steve

Stephen Faust                   smfaust@edisto.cofc.edu