Re: Predator relationships

Dann Pigdon wrote:

> Chris Campbell wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > Climbing a tree wouldn't help dromies much; the Tyrannosaurs are just
> > too tall to make the strategy terribly effective.
> > :)
> >
> > Chris
>
> I doubt that tyrannosaurs were particularly thick on the ground,
> at least not as common as the smaller theropods. And besides,
> would a tyrannosaur risk a few good slashes on the nose to get
> to such a small (comparitively) morsel?

Probably not; casts some doubt on the whole theft idea, dunnit?

> Perhaps smaller
> species of theropods used trees in this way to distance themselves
> from the medium sized theropods. To use the leopard/lion analogie,
> a smaller (1-2 metre) dromaeosaur may have climbed a tree to
> escape a larger species (a 6 metre Utahraptor), either to preserve
> its own kill or its own hide. I'm sure that given the right
> incentive almost any small theropod could have climbed a tree. Lions
> will climb if they are menaced by something dangerous. I've seen
> them scramble up trees if outnumbered by hyenas or Cape buffaloes.
> They aren't too happy about having to climb, but considering the
> alternative...

They've also been known to do it when in a particularly nasty mood and
set on bugging a cheetah cub or leopard.  I could definitely see dromies
climbing trees to escape other dromies or other scavengers.  Now I just
wonder whether that claw would be help or hindrance.

Chris